It is evident from the word augmentation itself, the nature and purpose of the surgery. Breast augmentation helps women like confidence booster. The augmentation mammoplasty as another name of the procedure increases the breast size. The surgery is about placing implants under the breast tissues or the muscles in the chest region.
Willing patients need to get in consultation with a renowned plastic surgeon. This clears away all the doubt regarding the nature of the surgery, risk factors, possible complications and the care to be taken.
So why do women undergo breast augmentation? It is for the following reasons:
- Bring on an enhancement to the appearance especially if a woman considers her breasts as small or asymmetrical to one another
- Getting a proper size reduction especially after pregnancy
- Rectify uneven breasts
- Most importantly to help improve the self-confidence
What are the types of risks associated with breast augmentation? The various risks of the procedure include;
- Scar tissue may well distort the shape of the implant in the breast. This is also known as capsular contraction.
- Risks of developing an infection in the area
- Having incurrence of pain
- Leakage or rupture of the implant
- Changes of sensation in the nipple and other areas of the breast.
As an antidote to such risks, the only way is to perform immediate replacement or removal of the implants.
If a woman has truly made up her mind to undergo breast augmentation, this is what she should do. Consult a plastic surgeon of repute and disclose the preferences regarding the feel, size, and appearance of the breasts. The surgeon can then disclose the types of implants ranging from;
- Round or shaped like a teardrop
- Smooth and textured
- Silicone or saline etc.
And must be of mention here, breast augmentation will not provide relief in totality and there can be certain things to consider. For instance;
- Breast implants do not mean; they will provide a solution to sagging breasts. To have that, one needs to undergo breast lift procedure apart from breast augmentation.
- Breast implants cannot last a lifetime. On average, an implant is known to last for 10 years at the most. This also increases the high risks of implant rupture.
- A person will age naturally and also gain or lose weight. These instances can call for some more surgery.
- Undergoing mammograms for women with implants involves a bit more complications.
- Women who breastfeed can have problems doing so if they have implants.
- It is necessary to note; the breast augmentation procedure does not come under the cover of insurance. It can, however, get covered if it is necessary after certain surgical procedures like a mastectomy.
- Should a woman decide to remove her implants, there remains the need for one more surgery after removal. This is a corrective surgery like breast lift to bring back the natural appearance.
- Women who have undergone breast augmentation must undergo routine monitoring with MRI.
Breast augmentation as a procedure thus involves several factors for consideration. A patient must know in detail before going under the knife.